Saturday, May 26, 2012

Peregrinos & pradera

Well, we are on the home stretch! Andy wants to do the whole last 42k in 1 day, but I can't face it. We left Ligonde at 4:30 am, as snoring in the next bunk and firecrackers in the street outside (local football win) made it impossible to sleep. It was the first time i used the headlamp. We could see the stars so clearly--- Andy was so happy to be looking at the Milky Way, and having all the "under the stars" resonances. The air was cool and the countryside beautiful and quiet-- and we were on a flat good road with no traffic for hours. Today was a battering ram of 30ks, from Ligonde to Ribadiso, just before Arzua. By mid-morning, it rained, I wore the periwinkle poncho from Debbie, and after5&1/2hrs, I sent the pack on with the Jaco-Trans people, which made it barely possible to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Andy went faster, and after finally getting to & through Melinde, I was able to get some money from an ATM, but pressed on, due to rain and overall nervousness that if I sat down I probably wouldn't get up Again. My blisters are stable and bearable, but bone pain in legs, knees and hips is hard. I am taking more naproxen, and tramodol at night now. When I was about 8k from Ribadiso, a young woman behind me started singing " when you walk through a storm" from Carousel! I sang it with her, and we sang a few more songs, which helped me to not feels so bad!! She is here after graduating from Parsons with a degree in design, with her dad, sister and two uncles. The whole bunch were dear and wonderful companions. We made it to Ribadiso and lunch with Andy by 4 pm. We got a room for 2, with our own shower, and slept the rest of the day. Tomorrow-- heading to Arca de Pinos. Day after--Santiago! We are excited but I am still trying not to just see kilometers, but really savor the countryside. Love to all-- martina

No comments: