Monday, May 28, 2012

Get me to the church on time!

Santiago de Compostela

Today we made it-- got our Compostela certificates! We walked at the fastest pace I could go, 6 hrs from Arcua de Pino-- with a midmorning stop for coffee and bathroom access. My body is very tired and sore, but we got to mass at 12:15-- in time for the sermon welcoming pilgrims from everywhere, and blessing our efforts. It was so sweet to be able to go to communion; even though we couldn't sit down, and still had our packs. We had Lunch afterwards at a great restaurant with Chung-woo Song from Korea; he and Andy became film buddies several stops ago. We got our certificates, then found our hotel-- Pazos Al ba. It is lovely-- our room looks At the Cathedral through the park, and we have a bathtub!! We will explore after I rest. Tomorrow we take the bus to Finisterre. I had a little prayer I was saying as we raced uphill toward the city-- " to, with, in & through, from and by God"-- and kept thinking about both my parents, & their strength and love and support. It is somewhat wierd to be an old lady now, and have people congratulate me for making it here, but my hair is now mostly white, so I fit the archetype. Last night we had dinner with Glenn, a semi-retired family practice doc from Wisconsin, and his son Tim. They have been going along at about the same stops, so we were glad to visit with them . I also met Gabriel from Barcelona and his 19 yo son, Marcelo. So we are not the only family pair-- also saw Michelle & her dad agAin today. I feel blessed, and grateful; so many hidden pairs of angel's wings, and prayers from loving friends got me and Andy this far! Hugs & kisses, martina

No comments: