Monday, May 24, 2010

the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela

I have been wanting to walk the Camino to Santiago de Compostela in Spain for about 5 years. It is a really deep thirst in me, and I am not completely sure why it has maintained itself, this dream, this long time. I am reading Joyce Rupp's book, "Walk in a relaxed manner" which is about her doing the Camino at age 60. I am terrified of walking 500 miles across Spain, with sore hips and bad back, and all the problems of the refugios; poor hygiene, scarce meals, bad beds. But I love the saying "primero Dios". This is to say first to have God, then the rest will follow. And now I am reading about a time when they got dysentery, and had to keep walking, and had nausea so fierce they couldn't eat, and barely could drink fluids. Just like in a long labor, coke helped! One keeps coming up against the need to depend on others; to get help, share the road, share the trials and difficulties. I really hope I get to do this soon. It is a pilgrimage to the site where supposedly St. James is buried, in a field of stars. At the edge of the western sea... Every symbol is carried in that becoming a pilgrim, under the stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

si se puede Martina. I really encourage you to go, and can also give you lots of free advice-and some lighter looks at the Camino that may make it seem less daunting.

Sil said...

Hola peregrina-martina!
When you start dreaming about walking el camino, your journey has already begun! The camino is there, waiting for you.
Here is a short verse by J.S.Selfe

Here begins the Journey
Now begins the Day.
With one step upon the Road
My soul is on its Way.
© JS Selfe