Monday, May 21, 2012

Spanish poppies and cherries: el Bierzo

Now in el Bierzo, many beautifully groomed small plots with ripening cherries, vegetables, and. Barley fields with poppies. Yesterday laid the stones at the Cruz de Ferro--- late morning. Andy found a friend-- Alex is a Galician philosophy student-- very fast on downhill slopes. Suddenly I was alone for4 hours of gruelling stony narrow path down the mountain-- and met not a soul for several hours, as it was siesta time. I got to Molinaseca at about 7 pm and was so crippled I could hardly make it through town to the Albergue, but I found a note from Andy at the bottom of the mountain that he had gotten beds for us and the name of the place. What a relief! I prayed all day, listening to Palestrina on the iPod. Today was a similar experience, but less arduous, and I got here to Villafranca del Bierzo by 5 pm, with time to eat. Both of these towns are lovely, and worth coming back to. Today I listened all day to Sound of Music over and over. I hurt, but some things are less painful, and Andy is going faster but rejoining me in the evening. I didn't realize how much alone time I would have, and there are not many places with wi- fi, and there are not many places to get rescued with a bus. Today I did take a bus through Ponferrada-- I want to walk in the prettiest places!!
Sending love and prayers-- martina

No comments: