Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Anne Rice's new book-- The Road to Cana

Dear friends,
I am in the middle of the book, at the temptation in the desert. It is marvelous-- a great reflection on the mystery of time! I love the way she writes, as if she actually can see and feel the way life was lived in Nazareth, and the way Jesus slowly moves forward into the fullness of his life and vocation, instinctively right, and feeling his way. It is a very powerful opening scene, the stoning of two boys for what the villagers think may be homosexual leanings. It is clear that they are innocent, but the villagers are swept away in mob violence.
I really loved the first book she wrote also. I think she spent a lot of research time on understanding Judaism and life in that time, in the Holy Land. I recommend the book!
My partner Larisa's husband is an Apple computer guy, and he fixed my iphone to receive the Kindle for iphones while we were at the hospital dinner party! I am so excited-- I downloaded "the Brothers Karamazov" for 99 cents, and will be reading it for the next few months. It is one of the books I need to read every ten years or so. Hugs and love, martina

No comments: